At nVent, we believe our culture is a differentiator and fosters an environment where our employees can bring bold ideas, be authentic and build the future of a more sustainable and electrified world. We are proud our culture investments have earned spots on several lists of top employers including the Bloomberg Gender Equality Index, Great Places To Work, Fortune Best Workplaces in Manufacturing & Production™ List and more. Most of our employees work in facilities all over the world to produce solutions that connect and protect electrical systems, making them more efficient, more resilient, and safer. We are grateful to all of our employees, who build the culture that makes nVent a great place to work!
Our production supervisors are uniquely skilled professionals who oversee manufacturing processes for a variety of value streams. They coordinate and facilitate daily operations of the assigned value stream to provide adequate resources, ongoing work direction, and problem solving to ensure business goals are met. On top of that, they are responsible for leading large teams of operators – which means a large portion of their time is spent leading people.
We recently spoke with two of our production managers: Teairra in Solon, Ohio who has been with us for over 20 years and Don in Anoka, Minnesota who has been with the company three years. Both noted how teamwork is the most important ingredient for success – and what keeps them at nVent. Watch their videos or read the transcript below:
What is one word you would use to describe your job and why?
- Tierra: I would describe my job as worthwhile. Being a production supervisor has its challenges, but the outcomes and energy are always worth it. My team ranges from ages 20 – 65+ and the effort each and every one of them gives is mind blowing at times. Here, we are a family. We respect each other and purposes.
- Don: The work I do at nVent is important within the HDLC team because we provide critical cooling to a growing market for data center cooling systems. It supports critical infrastructure that everyone uses in their daily lives. Not just here at work, but in our societies as a whole.
How do you lead and motivate others?
- Tierra: By leading by example. In my experience, I’ve noticed that most employees respect the saying ‘You can talk the talk, but can you walk the walk’? In my 20 years here, there is no question if I can ‘walk the walk’. I began my journey here at nVent as a temp. I have done the jobs that my team does now, and they are reassured that our goals are achievable. I also believe in being relatable and transparent.
- Don: I try to motivate others by communicating as much as I can with my team. I also do my best to lead by example. I never ask a team member to do anything that I myself am not willing to do. That has always served me well and garners respect more than just giving orders. Also, as a leader, I openly acknowledge I do not know everything and am open to suggestions from my team and admit when I make mistakes.
What makes nVent a great place to work within our production/team?
- Tierra: The ability to grow. The diversity. The positive energy. There will never be a company like this. I’m proud to call my colleagues family.
- Don: What I believe makes nVent a great place to work in production is the team I work with. I have worked in two departments as a production supervisor and in both teams, I saw that the team is more like family as you get to know them.
If you are interested in inspiring a team of people to do their best work and help meet business goals at one of our manufacturing facilities – learn more about our production supervisor openings by visiting our Careers page.