The Top 10 Things You Need to Know About PoE
Despite being around for almost 20 years, many are just learning about the full capabilities and potential of Power over Ethernet (PoE). An evolving technology that is increasingly more common in our modern world, PoE is still unfamiliar to many who work outside of the telecommunications industry.
To help increase understanding, here are 10 things you need to know about PoE:
- Defining PoE
- PoE is a method of transmitting power and data over the same network cable. Instead of needing multiple cables, PoE allows for this transfer with only one cable.
- Relevant applications for PoE usage
- PoE can provide both power and data to a variety of devices. Uses include applications such as wireless access points, IP cameras, VoIP phones, building automation, security and LED lighting.
- Since there is no need for extra wiring with PoE implementation, installation and operational processes are easier, helping to save on time and cost.
- PoE allows for devices to be installed in any location without being in close proximity to an existing power outlet.
- Up to standard
- Many of the industry’s governing organizations have developed standards for PoE usage. This includes the IEEE and TIA.
- Safety first
- PoE technology operates with a low voltage, making things safer for end users and equipment.
- Turning down the heat
- PoE requires running large amounts of power and data through fewer cables. While this saves space, it can pose a risk of high temperatures. Users have developed techniques to mitigate this risk.
- Because PoE continues to grow in popularity, industry standards have been adopted to make sure equipment is compatible with one other.
- In control
- PoE gives users the opportunity to have control over power distribution to and from their devices.
- Looking into the future
- The ever-evolving technological landscape means PoE’s possibilities are just scratching the surface. With the tremendous impact that both power and data play in our daily lives, the opportunities for PoE appear to be rapidly increasing.